pls fix comments for 7z archives

protator

Comments are greyd out for creating .7z archives.
They work for SFX archive creation, though.

With some file types manually adjusting "lc","lp","pb" and "mc" values can improve compression noticeably.
Without comments you also lose control over plug-in variables.

Installing TC4Shell somehow broke my regular 7z install, which since then stopped responding to setting changes and always uses default settings now ...
seems I'll have to pick between the two.

Pls fix this.
Otherwise I'd have to uninstall TC4, which I'd find very unfortunate. I do like the explorer integration quite a bit.

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
Without comments you also lose control over plug-in variables.
Comment field is not the same as Parameters field in 7-Zip. Comment field in TC4Shell allows you to create a text description of archive content which will be stored in created archive.

Comments are greyed out for creating .7z archives.
7z file format does not support comments. In case of SFX comments are saved in PE header of EXE file.

With some file types manually adjusting "lc","lp","pb" and "mc" values can improve compression noticeably.
I will think about this params.

Installing TC4Shell somehow broke my regular 7z install, which since then stopped responding to setting changes and always uses default settings now
What kind of setting do you mean?

protator

Comment field is not the same as Parameters field in 7-Zip
Oh ... I thought that was just a translation glitch. It looked like a convenient way to quickly switch between different sets of parameters to me. What kind of actual comments would you even put there? Are we supposed to write our own tooltips?^^
I will think about this params.
So you never considered ppl might want to compress their files with non-default parameters?
How are we supposed to adjust the plugins you host on this site then?
What kind of setting do you mean?
Pretty much all settings. Presets/compression strengh, dict size, word length, thread count, parameters.
No matter what values I choose, it doesn't take. 7z is now stuck at "normal" compression ratio with 256mb dict size.

I wanted to compare archives created within the explorer without custom params to ones made with 7z with default and custom parameters.
I used an archive I created a couple minutes before I installed TC4Shell as reference.
To my surprise 7z wasn't able to achieve the same compression ratio as before.

Welp, doesn't really matter now. I'll just roll back and pretend this never happened. 35$ saved.
I'll give this another try when/if compression parameters are implemented.