Unable to Register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5.

RibShark

I am trying to install TC4Shell, but I get this error message on every attempt:
Clicking ignore allows the installation to continue, but certain functionality (eg, hash in properties dialog) is missing.
Anything I can do to solve this?

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
Could you show me the content of the following registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema.Migrated (If exists)

RibShark

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\0000]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\root\\Office16\\VisioCustom.propdesc"
"SchemaId"="{AB9E2A9B-E9E1-4DCB-93C1-742F449AF8D6}"
"URI"="visiocustom.propdesc"
"CompactURI"="8e2b37686cddbee6f708e889801985ac193a3d698ca463534d9f3c01784061fb"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\0001]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\root\\Office16\\Custom.propdesc"
"SchemaId"="{E43B80E3-F2D4-4F2A-8326-924D516F05C7}"
"URI"="custom.propdesc"
"CompactURI"="2e3be58e5cbbc0da093956b46a3905f11cf0f5bbf11987a8619e25f7261ee8be"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\0002]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\K-Lite Codec Pack\\Icaros\\Resources\\IcarosDescriptions.propdesc"
"SchemaId"="{00853939-C0A2-4019-9101-01901AA68FB0}"
"URI"="icarosdescriptions.propdesc"
"CompactURI"="8c47e563b66d8f503f823a1c016ec17cb9d7dbef0b71834285168ae33db37293"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema\0003]
@="DTShl.propdesc"
"SchemaId"="{C0DF852F-E161-4422-A1D0-13C2D9AAB6E4}"
"URI"="dtshl.propdesc"
"CompactURI"="337e6560fae3c9705b57e8c1d236ca810df1fdb3bf85dffedb681d1baec5ccd4"

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
Could you check that all four *. propdesc files are present on your PC (VisioCustom.propdesc, Custom.propdesc, IcarosDescriptions.propdesc and DTShl.propdesc). And what is the actual location of DTShl.propdesc file?

RibShark

The first three *.propdesc files all exist. The 4th one was in the registry like that, but it was from software I no longer have installed. Removing the registry key for it had no effect.

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
So, you removed whole *\PropertySchema\0003 key, reboted and tried to install TC4Shell and it failed again?

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
Could you make an experiment:

1) Rename HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema to ...\PropertySystem\PropertySchema_Save
2) Reboot
3) Try to install TC4Shell
N) Rename ...\PropertySystem\PropertySchema_Save back to ...\PropertySystem\PropertySchema.

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a time to test I can create a special build with logs. Logs will show the place where installation fails.

RibShark

Log file contents:
Code:
Register TTC4ShellWFXPanelNamespace: Ok
Register TTC4ShellPanelNamespace: Ok
Register TTC4ShellFarPanelNamespace: Ok
Register TTC4ShellElevation: Ok
Register TTC4ShellPropertyStoreExtension: Ok
Register TTC4ShellColumnProviderExtension: Ok
Register TTC4ShellArchiveDragAndDropContextMenu: Ok
Register TTC4ShellArchiveBackgroundContextMenu: Ok
Register TTC4ShellAnyObjContextMenu: Ok
Register TTCShellNewPluginHintBHO: Ok
Register TTC4ShellCPNamespace: Ok
Register TTC4ShellArchiveNamespace stage1
Register TTC4ShellArchiveNamespace stage2
PropDesc filename: C:\ProgramData\TC4Shell\TC4Shell.propdesc. Found.
UnregisterPropDescFile: The system cannot find the file specified
Register TTC4ShellArchiveNamespace: The system cannot find the file specified

RibShark

I fixed it! There was a remaining DTShl entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertySchema. Removing that entry and rebooting caused the installation to work. Thanks for looking into it!

null

I'm getting the same error. After renaming the PropertySchema registry keys the installation worked, but after restarting the Error Message popped up again and the explorer integration isn't working :confused:

Also unrelated, but when I had to make an account here to post this the confirmation mail had a link to "tc4shell..com" you might want to fix this.

Maybe you could consider making this application open source and on donation basis instead? I think it would really benefit from it, both in terms of popularity and software quality.

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
but after restarting the Error Message popped up again and the explorer integration isn't working
Do you mean you see Error Message with "Unable to register..." or something else?

Also unrelated, but when I had to make an account here to post this the confirmation mail had a link to "tc4shell..com" you might want to fix this.
Thanks, I will check.

null

Yes the same error message.
I managed to make it work though by deleting the registry keys and installing it again.
Seems good so far, but still I wish it wasn't as expensive :(