Add custom icons

null

To better differenciate different types of archives, it would be nice to let the users select their own icons for each file extension.
7-Zip and PeaZip already have that feature (although it doesn't support every extension, such as apk unfortunately), so that would be a nice addition.
Maybe just an optional icons directory and a check if an .ico file with the name of the extensions exists to use that icon instead of the defaul one.

Attachments

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
Done. This function is available in Nightly build.

1) Create new folder c:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\TC4Shell\Icons\
Path may be different depending on your Windows version and settings.
2) Copy your icons into this folder. Filenames must be in form ext.ico
3) Update file associations with
3.1) Start\TC4Shell\File associations
or
3.2) File properties dialog\Navigation tab (uncheck "Open NNN files as folders", check it back and press OK)

null

Wow awesome. I didn't expect the feature to be implemented that quickly, I'll try it out asap

Edit: Yay it works great!

Last edited:

null

Speaking of icons, it would be nice if you could use the tc4shell icon that TC4ShellUpdateChecker.exe already uses for the menus as well.
At the moment the file associations menu uses the ugly default windows application icon and the "TC4Shell-Plugins" uses just a regular folder icon and the shortcuts in the start menu (while changeable) are just default icons as well.
It's not that much of an issue, since you probably only run the file associations menu once, but it still bothers me a bit

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
Icons are planned but it is not a primary task. What about file icons? Everything works correctly?

null

For some reason it still uses the default icon for zip files, for the other archive types I'm using it seems to work fine though.

Dec

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason it still uses the default icon for zip files
TC4Shell changes icon only if there is no custom icon for file extension in the system. Zip file has its own icon, so TC4Shell don`t modify it. But you can do it manually. Just edit HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder\DefaultIcon value.